Are you having trouble attracting migrants to your Dwarf Fortress? It can be frustrating when your population isn’t growing, especially if you’re facing threats from outside or from deep within the earth. Fear not, there are ways to attract migrants to your fortress and bolster your defenses. In this article, we’ll go over some tips to help you bring in new residents to your Dwarf Fortress.
Why Is My Fortress Attracting No Migrants?
Before we dive into the tips, let’s first address why your fortress may not be attracting migrants. There are a few reasons why migrants may not be coming to your fortress:
- Your fortress may not have enough positive factors to outweigh the negative ones, such as dangerous creatures or bad weather.
- Your fortress may be too small or poorly equipped, which can make migrants hesitant to join.
- Your fortress may have a bad reputation due to past failures or disasters.
If any of these reasons apply to your fortress, it’s essential to address them before attempting to attract migrants. Make sure your fortress is well-equipped, safe, and has a good reputation to increase the chances of migrants coming.
Where Do Migrants Come From in Dwarf Fortress?
Migrants in Dwarf Fortress typically come from other settlements in the game. The game will generate new migrant waves at set intervals, and if your fortress is eligible, you may receive some new residents. However, to increase your chances of getting migrants, you need to make your fortress more appealing.
How to Attract Migrants to Your Dwarf Fortress
- Build Attractive Living Quarters – Make sure your living quarters are well-designed, spacious, and equipped with the necessary amenities like beds and tables. You can also add decorations like statues and engravings to make them more appealing.
- Create A Safe Environment – Keep your fortress safe from external and internal threats. Build walls and traps to keep out invaders, and fortify your entrances to keep out wildlife. Ensure your dwarves are well-armed and trained to defend themselves in case of an attack.
- Produce High-Quality Goods – Dwarves love high-quality items, so make sure your fortress produces them. You can create a thriving economy by producing valuable items like weapons, jewelry, and furniture. Having a thriving economy can attract merchants, which can help bring in new residents.
- Keep Your Dwarves Happy – Happy dwarves are more likely to attract migrants to your fortress. Make sure your dwarves have plenty of food, drink, and leisure time. Also, make sure to address any issues like disease, unhappy thoughts, or feuds between dwarves.
How Do You Turn Away Migrants in Dwarf Fortress?
If you’re having trouble supporting your current population, you may not want any new migrants. In Dwarf Fortress, you can turn away migrants by using the [o]rders menu and selecting the “Refuse all migrants” option. This will prevent any new waves from joining your fortress until you change the setting.
Now that you know how to attract migrants to your Dwarf Fortress, it’s time to put these tips into action. Remember that attracting migrants is just the first step. You also need to make sure you can support them and keep them happy.
One thing to keep in mind is that attracting too many migrants too quickly can also be a problem. You may not have enough resources or living space to support them, which can lead to unrest and unhappy dwarves.
To prevent this, you can limit the number of migrants that come to your fortress by selecting the “Customize Wave” option in the embark screen. This allows you to adjust the number of migrants that arrive with each wave and can help you better manage your population.
In addition to the tips we’ve already discussed, you can also try to make your fortress more unique and memorable. For example, you can create a themed fortress or build impressive structures that will attract attention and make your fortress stand out.
You can also use the power of social media to attract new players to your fortress. Share screenshots and stories of your fortress on forums or social media platforms, and you may find that new players are drawn to your fortress and want to join in on the fun.
In conclusion, attracting migrants to your Dwarf Fortress is a crucial part of the game, and it’s essential to make your fortress a welcoming and prosperous place for new residents. By following the tips we’ve discussed, you can increase your chances of getting new migrants and creating a thriving fortress that can withstand the challenges that the game throws at you. Happy gaming!