Welcome to the mystical world of Elden Ring, a game that has captivated the hearts of many with its intricate gameplay and immersive storyline. One of the game’s most intriguing features is the ability to summon spirits, providing a much-needed aid in the challenging battles that lie ahead. However, many players often find themselves asking, “Why can’t I summon in Elden Ring?” In this comprehensive guide, we’ll delve into the mechanics of summoning spirits in Elden Ring, discuss the common issues that might prevent you from summoning, and provide effective solutions to overcome these hurdles. Let’s embark on this enlightening journey.
How to Summon Spirits in Elden Ring
Summoning spirits in Elden Ring isn’t a feature that’s available right from the get-go. It requires you to complete a few introductory quests and meet a character named Melina. Once you’ve done this, you’ll acquire the ability to summon spirits and your companion, The Torrent.
The first step in this process is to head to the Church of Elleh in Limgrave after starting the game. Here, you’ll encounter an NPC named Renna who gifts you The Spirit Calling Bell and The Torrent. However, Renna is only available during the night, so timing your visit is crucial.
In case you missed this initial step and Renna is no longer available, don’t fret. There’s an alternative way to acquire The Spirit Calling Bell. Simply visit the Roundtable Hold and look for an NPC named Twin Maiden Husks. She sells The Spirit Calling Bell among her wares. Once you’ve got the bell, you don’t need to equip it to summon Spirit Ashes. Just select the desired ashes and press the appropriate key when you have enough Focus Points.
Why Can’t I Summon Spirits in Elden Ring?
Despite meeting all the requirements, there are times when pressing the Spirit summon button yields no results. This can be quite frustrating, especially when you’re in dire need of an extra hand. However, rest assured that this isn’t a glitch in the game. There are several reasons why you might be unable to summon in Elden Ring, and we’re here to help you understand and fix these issues:
- No Spirit Calling Bell: The most straightforward reason why you can’t summon in Elden Ring is the absence of the Spirit Calling Bell. This item is crucial for summoning spirits. If you’ve bypassed Renna and proceeded in the game without the bell, you’ve made a common mistake. But don’t worry, there’s a solution. Even if you’ve managed to clear the Stormveil Castle without the bell, you can still acquire it. Just visit the Roundtable Hold and purchase the Lone Wolf Ashes and The Spirit Calling Bell from Twin Maiden Husks.
- Not Enough FP (Focus Points): Focus Points, or FP, are essential for summoning Ashes Spirits. Each time you use the bell, a few points are drained from your FP bar. The FP bar usually refills on its own, but if you’re in a hurry to summon, you can refill the bar using Cerulean Tears. However, some summons require more FP than your maximum capacity. In such cases, it’s time to rest at the nearest Site of Grace and allocate some ability points to the Mind stat.
- No Summoning Area: Summoning Ashes Spirits can significantly ease your journey through Elden Ring. However, the game developers have set certain restrictions to maintain the game’s challenging nature. One such restriction is the requirement of Rebirth Monuments. To use the Spirit Calling Bell, you must be within the range of a monument. These monuments are scattered throughout the game world, but there are exceptions. If you aren’t near a Rebirth Monument, that area is off-limits for summoning, and you’ll have to face the challenges on your own. So, keep an eye on the grey slate icon on the left corner of the screen. You can only summon a spirit if this icon is visible.
- Already Summoned a Spirit: To add a twist to the game mechanics, the developers have set a rule that you can only summon one Ashes Spirit at a time. If you’ve already summoned a spirit during a boss fight, you can’t summon another, even if the first one is defeated. So, choose your summons wisely when battling the toughest bosses in Elden Ring. Fortunately, the developers have provided some leeway. You can recall the same Ashes Spirit as long as you have the FP during the fight.
Addressing the ‘Unable to Summon Cooperator’ Issue in Elden Ring
While Elden Ring’s cooperative gameplay adds an exciting dimension to the game, it can occasionally present challenges, such as the ‘unable to summon Cooperator’ error. This issue can be a source of frustration, especially when you’re eager to team up with fellow players. Let’s explore some potential solutions to this problem:
- Solution 1: A simple yet effective first step is to restart your game client and the device you’re playing on. This action can often resolve minor glitches or bugs that might be causing the issue.
- Solution 2: Server-related issues can also lead to the ‘unable to summon Cooperator’ error. If the Elden Ring servers are experiencing high traffic or are temporarily down, you might face difficulties in summoning. You can check the status of the game servers online. If the servers are indeed down, waiting for a while before trying again can often resolve the issue.
- Solution 3: Your internet connection could also be the culprit behind the summoning issue. If your internet is unstable or slow, it could interfere with the game’s online features. You can check your internet speed and stability using various online tools. If there’s a problem with your internet, restarting your router or contacting your Internet Service Provider might help.
- Solution 4: The game’s anti-cheat software, Easy Anti-Cheat, needs to be running in the background for the online features to work correctly. If this software isn’t running, you might face issues with summoning. You can check if Easy Anti-Cheat is running by opening your device’s task manager.
- Solution 5: If you’ve tried all the above solutions and are still facing the ‘unable to summon Cooperator’ error, the Furlcalling Finger Remedy might be your last resort. This item, which can be obtained from Patches in Murkwater Cave, refreshes the summoning signs in the multiplayer mode, potentially resolving the issue.
Common Queries About Summoning in Elden Ring
In this part of our guide, we’ll address some frequently asked questions about summoning in Elden Ring. These insights should help you navigate the game more effectively and enhance your overall experience.
What exactly is the Furlcalling Finger Remedy?
The Furlcalling Finger Remedy is a consumable item in Elden Ring that you can use to refresh the summoning signs in the game’s multiplayer mode. You can craft this item using the Crafting Kit and two Erdleaf Flowers, or you can obtain it by defeating Invading Phantoms.
Why am I unable to summon my wolves in Elden Ring?
There could be several reasons why you’re unable to summon the Lone Wolf or other Ashes Spirits in Elden Ring. For instance, you might not be near a Rebirth Monument, you might not have sufficient FP, your Mind stat might be too low, or you might have already summoned another Ashes Spirit.
How can I get The Spirit Calling Bell if I missed Renna?
If you didn’t encounter Renna at the Church of Elleh, you can still obtain The Spirit Calling Bell. Visit the Roundtable Hold and speak with the NPC known as Twin Maiden Husks. She sells The Spirit Calling Bell and the Lone Wolf Spirit Ashes.
What triggers the ‘unable to summon Cooperator’ error in Elden Ring?
The ‘unable to summon Cooperator’ error can occur due to various reasons. It could be a result of issues with your game client, the game servers might be down or overloaded, your internet connection might be unstable, the Easy Anti-Cheat software might not be running, or the player you’re trying to summon might already be in another world.
How can I check the Elden Ring server status?
You can check the Elden Ring server status online. If you’re playing on a PC, visit the Steam website and select Elden Ring from the Steam Server Status Pages. Xbox players can check the server status on the Xbox Status page, while PlayStation players can visit the PlayStation Network server status website.
Navigating the vast, mystical world of Elden Ring can be a daunting task, especially when you’re faced with formidable foes. The ability to summon spirits and cooperators significantly enhances your chances of survival and victory. However, encountering issues while trying to summon can be frustrating. We hope this comprehensive guide has provided you with valuable insights into the mechanics of summoning in Elden Ring, common issues you might face, and effective solutions to overcome these hurdles.
Remember, the key to mastering Elden Ring, like any other game, lies in understanding its mechanics and persistently trying different strategies. So, don’t be disheartened if you can’t summon a spirit or a co-operator at first. Use the information provided in this guide, keep experimenting, and you’ll soon be summoning with ease.